Sunday, January 31, 2010

Musings of the month of January

I'm not sure what to say about January. It was the first month of the new year. It flew by and I feel like I got a lot accomplished, but then I don't. Do you ever have those feelings? Am I doing significant things that are helping me to move forward? I was talking to a friend tonight and we came to the conclusion that if we recognize what we've done and are thankful for what HAS been accomplished, we can feel more satisfied.

First, I survived another term of school and another round of parent-teacher conferences. Those can always be stressful, but it is over with, for the most part. I still need to round up 3 more students for the meetings, but those should be done before the end of the week.

Second, Benchmarks (reading levels) are done for the 2nd time. A lot of my students were able to move up a few levels. One girl moved up significantly. She moved up 3 levels. I was so proud of her. Her comprehension is amazing. I found out she watches the Discovery Channel a lot. I love that channel. :)

Third, I just finished the training for the Arts program we have been going to this year. The last one was on Friday. That makes me so happy that I am done and get a credit towards my teacher professionalism. That is one more step in the right direction.

Fourth, our FHE program has been significantly heightened by a little more unity among the groups, and some healthy competition. For January, we did ice cream sculptures. A lot of the groups had some great ideas and creations. My group came up with a scene from UP! When I get the pictures, I'll post some. My co-chair and I gave talks, as well as another FHE leader and just an attendee. They were great and I learned a lot about why we have FHE in the first place.

Fifth, I have been working on my ARL. I did not do as well in a class that I was taking online, so I need to do it again, but now I understand how to do an online class. Much harder than I though. I'm sure there are others that would have no problem, but I struggled. Now, I am set up to take the PRAXIS for content knowledge in March, and the PRAXIS PLT in April. Overkill, maybe, but I need it in order to keep up. I am still working on my ESL endorsement as well. So much to do, so little time to do it. :)

Sixth, I have joined a dinner group, which I love. I enjoy spending time with friends over meals and getting a chance to eat someone else's cooking. I cook only once every three weeks (we eat 2 nights out of the week). I think it is fabulous and I love the people I eat with because they are such great conversationalists. I was lucky and took over a friend of mine's position, and now we are losing another friend Kathryn, but should be gaining another one soon.

Now that I look back, I realize that a lot has been accomplished and I feel a sense of satisfaction, but there are still some loose ends that I need to tie up. This is not a problem, since I recognize the need, but I need to understand the path of how I should attack the problems I face. I have a hard time getting the big, ugly projects out of the way. I remember seeing a motivational video about eating your frog. They tell you to eat it right away in the beginning of the day. Then, the rest of the day will be a snap since it gives you the confidence to accomplish hard things. It's about procrastination, since we will usually procrastinate a difficult task and then it drains our energy since it goes on for awhile as uncompleted.

I need to learn to prioritze and EAT MY FROG!!! I have been trying to be much more organized. I just created a six week workout routine for myself in order to get in shape for the REX LEE RUN. (I may not be able to run because of the PRAXIS now, darnit all). However, I'll still follow the plan. Then I have plans for what I'm going to eat and cleaning schedules. I need to delegate. So many people have offered to help me in my classroom. I need to take them up on it.

So, here is to a new month. February, it's going to be awesome. Groundhog's Day, Valentine's Day, Chinese New Year. Maybe I'll make up some new resolutions for Chinese New Year. :) Good-bye January, hello February.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Your doing great.
You also need to add to your list... PLAN AWESOME SUMMER VACATION!!! :o)

Chalyce said...

Yes, you are sooo right!!