Thursday, January 30, 2014

Healthy Body Image Challenge Day 5: "Good Night's Rest"

I had no idea (or I had forgotten) what a good night's rest can do! I slept almost 10 hours last night (that hasn't happened in who know's how long) and I woke up feeling so much better. I still feel like there is something in my lung, but it's actually starting to leave. I felt a ton better today. Not 100% still (cough, runny nose, etc.), but the sleep did some wonders.

I've been looking at what sleep can do for you. It really does have a lot to do with "beauty rest". Your body repairs itself best when you are sleeping. That is why when you are sick, the doctor tells you to rest. I was not very good at that last week. I was still working on school work when I was at home. One of my co-workers told me after I came back that she had taken the math books from me because she wanted me to go home and rest and stop working. (We are adopting a new math program this year, so we have lots of different volumes).

Sleep make it so that your mind is more alert, your emotions are not heightened (as much), and your patience is not as thin. I feel so much better about life when I've had my sleep. Now I know that this is a hard thing to practice. I'm the girl who "burns the candle at both ends", but I think that was my wake up call as well as having pneumonia. I need to take care of my body/mind and sleep is a priority. It takes into account the philosophy of taking a break. Our body needs that break to rejuvenate.

I have also heard that if you get the same amount of sleep each night as well as go to bed around the same time and wake up at the same time (with a variation each night within an hour), you control your body weight better, specifically body fat. It was a study I read that they had done on college age students. Does that work for me still? I should try it out and now that I have seen what a good night's rest can do, I'm going to work on that. Sleep tight and don't let the bed bugs bite. Or in Sweden "Sov som en groda" (Sleep like a frog). :)

No comments: