Sunday, February 26, 2012

Learning through Repetition

The best way to learn something is through repetition, right? Well, I guess the Lord wants me to be a professional at getting students accommodated with starting school in the middle of the year. I have had 10 students move out of my class from the beginning of the year. (It might be 11, I've lost track). With those students who have moved out (it seems at a constant rate), I have been selected by the school secretaries to receive the bulk of the new students. (Not by some malicious reasoning - at least I hope- it is just because my numbers keep going down and the other teachers' numbers have stayed the same).

The school secretary sent me an e-mail on Friday entitled "You are going to KILL me" and contained the name of the newest member of my class. (This will make 11 new students). My class seems to have a revolving door on it this year because as they leave, more come in. Luckily, I will be in the classroom on Monday when he comes, because it is also a joke that I am either at a training or something when the new student arrives.

I guess I just need to laugh and learn to perfect the art of helping students to start in a new classroom part way through the year. I'm glad that my fellow co-workers understand my frustration and laugh with me. The student before this one's name was Roxanne and my co-worker lovingly made me a CD that played "Roxanne" by the Police over and over again. I think I listened to it at least 15 times while preparing for my new student.

I must admit it is hard to see my other students go and new ones come in, but it keeps me on my toes and reminds me that the Lord is teaching me to learn by repetition. I must not have gotten it right yet. :)

No comments: